February by Elysha Hickey





When I arrived at Café de Lenguas y Cultura to volunteer – I was awestruck! The school is built right on the sand with the Pacific Ocean for a front yard. Not only was I impressed with the location, it seemed I had chosen a great time to volunteer. Puerto López was preparing for it’s annual fiesta - Carnival! Fiesta fever had also affected the school and on the Friday before Carnival all the volunteers threw a party for the kids. The centrepiece was a play starring five kids. It was performed on the upstairs terrace to an audience of at least 30. The children did a great job remembering their lines, staying in character and projecting their voices – it was Broadway by the sea! As the kids took their bows, the audience erupted into cheers. No one was more proud than the director/producer Annette who had travelled all the way from Switzerland to volunteer. Then, the children who weren’t involved in the play had their turn in the spotlight. They put on a dance, choreographed by Canadian volunteer Monica. It was the kind of performance that made you tap your toes and smile from ear to ear. With the formalities out of the way, the kids hit the beach for body painting and water games. The paints were a big hit, but no one enjoyed them more than the volunteers. Fernando, in particular enjoyed them. Note to self – never trust a Spaniard armed with cups of paint! I made a short movie of the day. Here’s the youtube link if you want to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBUvn1eskQ&feature=youtu.be
After the three-day party that was Carnival, it seemed the whole town had a hangover – including the niños! After a few days, the kids eventually started to return. We had a lot of fun playing games on the beach. The clear favourite was ‘La Araña’ which required the kids to get from one side of the other without being tangled in the spider’s web. They also loved obstacle courses drawn on the sand.
I have especially enjoyed my time teaching craft. Together we’ve made all sorts of creatures from the sea, friendship bracelets and origami. One day we made sculptures out of playdough. Is there any better feeling than squishing playdough between your fingers? My fingernails were blue for a few days after! I’ve also loved teaching English. I’m a big believer in learning through games. I’ve spent an awful lot of time these few weeks concocting games to teach things like colours, time, body parts and family members. Bingo is always a winner. The kids can play that for hours!
Puerto López is such a great place. I’ve used my free time to check out the stunning beach of Los Frailes and the breathtaking Isla de la Plata. I leave Café de Lenguas y Cultura with a heavy heart. But I know it’s not goodbye forever…it’s simply hasta luego